From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 05:06:55 -0800
This is a  similar posting of one I made on <[log in to unmask]>

  Listers,

  I'm hoping to find the names of the men who made up the "Virginia Independents" and joined Col. Henry Bouquet's Expedition against the Indians in 1764. The expedition was somewhat successful in convincing the Delaware, Shawnee and other tribes to bring in their hostages.
I'm also looking for a list --partial or full- of the 200+ hostages the tribes brought in to the temporary housing built by Bouquet's men.

  I  have the info from Terry Gruber's sites and have scanned several documents at American Memory (Lib. of Congress), and a small book by Wm Henry Engle, "An Illustrated HIstory of the Commonwealth of Penn. (Harrisonburg, 1876), but only Terry gives some names, and they are limited to a small number of the hostages.

  In Chalkley's "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish" is at least one reference to a man from VA --John Warrick-- receiving 50 acres for his participation in the Bouquet Expedtition.   I know  Col. Bouquet's papers and other material is available, and hoping someone is familiar with them and found the names of men in the VA Independents and hopefully, more names of the hostages rescued.

  Any indoemation  or suggestions much appreciated.

Joanne