From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 00:33:16 -0500
Nancy,

Thanks for the kind words. I've been working on these stories since I
retired from teaching a few years ago. They let me "keep my hand in"
education. I started with the history series, and they are the "flagship" of
my stories, but, as you can see if you go to
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/books there are now a number of series
that I've got going. For the past year, I haven't done much with the history
series. I went totally dry for a few months, and came back to start the
First Readers. The most recent stories are in the Folklore series. But, I
wanted to get back to history, and I have had a Pocahontas story in the back
of my mind for a while and decided it's time to put it together.

There is an interesting following to my stories. I don't know how many hits
are on the pages since I haven't taken stats on my site for some time, but I
know there is a special ed class in Ocean Shores, WA, that dons their
self-made History Hats whenever their teacher reads one of the stories. I've
a number of nephews and grand-nieces who read the stories and have passed
them on to classmates. An autistic teacher outside Pittsburgh uses them,  a
tutor in Michigan uses them, a special ed aide in Chesterfield has shared
them with the teachers she works with, and so on.

Sadly, I don't know what a publisher would do with them, since they are
effective BECAUSE the child's name is in the story. The first story I wrote
was The American Flag about Betsy Ross. I wrote it for my autistic nephew
who refused to read anything but Disney. In the story, George Washington
told him he was SMART, and the child fell in love with the book!

This list has, from the beginning, been a huge help in getting me straight
on the history facts, especially when it involves Virginians, but also on
others. The list has never let me down, and again, seems to be very helpful
in keeping me from tripping over my own ignorance.

Anne
Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.erols.com/apembert