From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:59:58 -0500
I would argue that to a large extent the American Civil War defies
the norm in this respect. The vast majority of the books written have
been by Southerners from a Southern perspective. While Lee, Jackson,
et al are of interest to people from the North, they do not hold the
fascination they do for Southerners. The results are interesting. I
suspect that Lee would not have achieved the stature he has, had the
history of the war been left n the hands of Yankees (or Damnyankees
if you prefer).

This case is an excellent example of the victors writing the history.
The naval war has never captured the imagination of Southerners. With
the result that most of the history of the naval campaigns were
written by Northern authors. It is significant that the CSS Virginia
is known historically primarily as the Merrimac. While the "Monitor
and Merrimac" is somewhat more mellifluous than the Monitor and
Virginia, I suspect that there is more to it than poetic license.