From:
Daniel Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:08:46 -0400
One of my favorite stories in this regard is a "revelation" by one of
the most prominent writers in this field, that there were no less
than two full regiments of black troops on the Confederate side at
First Manassas . . . one commanded by a "white" Colonel . . . one
commanded by a "black" Colonel . . . and that, after the battle, some
of these "black confederate" troops were seen looting the bodies of
dead Union soldiers.  Mystifying how ca. 2,000 uniformed and armed
black troops would have been "missed" by every witness except one
poor soul selling dime tickets to a self-promoting lecture . . . but,
sources move in mysterious ways their wonders to perform.

The realities of black service in the Confederate Army are well
documented . . . and, I believe, speak to the humanity of all who
fought in that most tragic of conflicts.

Some blacks, clearly, "served" because they had no choice . . . or
believed they had none.

Some because they felt honor-bound to the people beside whom they
fought.

Some may, indeed, have fought for some variation of "the
cause"  . . . but, to the best of my knowledge . . . most instances
of professions of support in that regard came early in the conflict,
and did not survive the aftermath of Sharpsburg.

I look forward to this discussion.

Dan