From:
Joanie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:01:37 -0500
I'm doing some research on a mid nineteenth century Baptist Church which has
two front entrances.  I have heard over the years that men and women entered
separate doors of churches in some denominations during the seventeenth and
eighteenth centuries.  I feel that this may be true, but I don't have any
documentation on that.  This particular church has two aisles and the pews
between the two aisles are divided down the center with a partitian a little
higher than the pews, and it is flush with the floor.  Does anyone have any
references to back up this thought.  Thank you.