From:
"Alyson L. Taylor-White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:47:38 -0500
Jon - thanks - Christmas was our first thought too because the first
reference we found was to a ball at the end of December.  However, there are
others at different times of the year, so the monarch's birthday or George
Washington's have been suggested.  Christmas was usually a somber holiday in
Federal period Virginia, however, theater and parties were a rich part of
the evening entertainment.  The 1811 theater fire at the site of what is now
Monumental Church happened I think during the holidays.  ATW