From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:57:03 -0400
It should be remembered that while the US played a part in the slave
trade, most of the slaves shipped out of Africa to the Americas went
to Brazil and the Caribbean (often in ships out of Boston and
Baltimore, but also Liverpool and lots of other places). But more
importantly it was the British who outlawed slavery and enforced an
embargo of the Atlantic trade. This was followed by the US. It was
the British and US Navy that finally shut down the Atlantic slave
trade. The East African (overseas) trade was not shut down until
later, and it can be argued that portions of the trans-Sahara trade
flourish today. Slavery in the US should be viewed in a world
context, not just as a peculiar American problem. Because it was
transnational and its solution was as well.

My primary area of study is the iron industry. Many, in some case
most or even all, of the workers at blast furnaces, forges, and
foundries in the South and in the North were slaves.

             Negroes were used in the ironworks from the early
establishment of the Pennsylvania industry.  In 1727 the shortage of
labor was so acute that the ironmasters in the colony petitioned the
Assembly for permission to import Negroes free of duty to labor at
their works... A bill permitting Negroes imported into the colony for
the express purpose of laboring at ironworks to enter duty free
failed by the deciding vote of the Speaker.  Two years later,
however, the duty of £5 on each Negro brought into the Province was
reduced to £2... While Negro slaves and freed Negroes usually worked
at menial tasks, at many ironworks they were skilled workmen.
[Bining 1938:99-102]

It was reported by Acrelius that the workers at PA ironworks were
"generally negroes". the most interesting case is that of Monmouth
County, NJ. It was the site of an early ironworks, Tinton Falls
(circa 1677). The large number of slaves used there skewed this rural
counties population well into the 19C. For years no one could figure
out why a rural county in NJ had such a large Black population. The
reason was the descendants of the Tinton Falls slaves.

James Brothers, RPA