From:
Douglas Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:40:35 -0500
In the following transcription I have two questions.
1. Following several of the recipients are the initials W.H. These are new
to me. Any suggestions as to what they stand for?
2. Again following several of the recipients is the term " each in right of
their wives".
This is from the father, Augustine Leftwich to six recipients and those
whose last name is Leftwich are his sons.
I am unable to find this phrase in any of my research books. Thoughts on
this.

Augustine Leftwich

Bedford County Virginia

Will Book 9

Divide the Estate

p171

Agreeably to an order of Bedford November Court 1835 we did on the

22nd day of December 1835 proceed to divide amongst the distributees of

Augustine Leftwich deceased Nineteen slaves and the sum of four hundred

dollars in cash as exhibited to me by the administraters in the following

manner. There appearing to be six distributees the sum of sixty six dollars

and sixty six and two third cents each delivered to David Saunders Wil

liam Leftwich   W.H. each in right of their wives and also the same sum

was delivered to Peyton Leftwich & James Leftwich R.H., each the two

sons of said deceased, and also the like sum of $66.66 2/3 was delivered

to Thomas Davis as a purchaser of one sixth part of said decedants estate

which purchase it appears was made of Jessee Leftwich son of said decedant

and fully ratified by said decedent in his life time and the like sum of

sixty six dollars and 66 2/3 cents way retained by the administrator for
the heir

of Robert Leftwich decd also a son of said Augustine deceased we also

alloted to Thomas Davis as aforesaid Lot No 1 of said slaves consisting

of Isaac at $200 Harriett & child Mary at $700 and Jack at $500

making the sum of $1400:__ To Peyton Leftwich Lot No 2 consisting

of Silvey & child Bob at $500. Sam at $750. and Emelina at $150 making

also $1400. To William Leftwich (w.h.) in right of his wife Lot No 3
consisting of

Suckey & child John at $ 700. and Burwell at $700 making $1400. To David

Saunders in right of his wife Lot No 4 consisting of Brenden at $400 Stephen

at $725 and Awanda at $275 making also $1400 To James Leftwich

Lot No. 5 consisting of Edam at $750. Jane at $425 and James at $275

making the sum of $1450 legte James paying to the heir of Robert Leftwich

the sum of $50. To the heir of Robert Leftwich decd Lot No. 6 consisting

of Lieghman at $750 and Louisa at $600 and to receive of James Leftwich

$50 excess in Lot No. 5 making to all the sum of $1400 in slave. There

still being left an old and very infirm negro man named Ben and his wife

named Peggy and an old woman named Amy thought leg_ to be a charge

to the estate and of no value, and all of the distributees being present and

consenting except the heir of Robert who was absent the said three old
slaves

were not placed into the division, but were placed into the posession &
keeping

of William Leftwich (w.h.) at a charge to the estate of said Augustine of
the

sum of three hundred dollars to be paid or allowed him for keeping & of said

three slaves for and during their life and burial.

                                                Wm Leftwich

                                                Jas A. Walker

                                                William Dickinson Jr

                                                Reaves Scruggs