From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 06:41:11 -0500
If you look at the wills and inventories of estates of the early
middle class and lower middle class, often they had 'hogges' and
'pigges', a horse or two [or more], but no cattle. Pork seemed to
have been very important in the early diet, and I'm talking well into
the 18th century. But hogs were quite often left to roam a forest or
an island [there are  many "Hog Islands" still in existence], to live
off the land, acorns, beech mast, etc. So if people started thinking
they could just go out and steal somebody's hogs, it could seriously
impact some settler and his family.  So I guess the law had to take
such a theft quite seriously, to discourage it.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone