From:
"Huffstutler, Eric S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:43:24 -0500
See, I am not exactly fond of your response that genealogy is an
"expensive" hobby.  It use to be the #1 hobby in the world but now... I
seriously doubt it.  The more people participating the cheaper it should
be and the more information available for free.  But that is still
sidestepping the fact that yes, some people here, like on any forum, are
passionate with their hobby but doing so with blinders on.  A few people
on an isolated forum don't represent the general population.  How about
the person who works 9-5 weekdays and can't get to local or out of state
libraries? The elderly on fixed incomes?  The handicapped who is home
bound and doing this to pass time?  Are they to be excluded because you
say it is an "expensive" hobby?

Again, even as recent as 2002-2004, there was a lot of Internet
activity.  Prior to that a waiting list for people to host county
websites on RootsWeb GenWeb program.  Now you can't seem to give the
counties away to anyone who will keep it up to date let alone add new
content.  And yes, the volunteer sites I have already mentioned have
plenty of dead links for those who had good intensions but you can wait
until you are blue in the face for a response.  In fact, I am still
getting people asking questions to posts I placed online over 10-years
ago!  Of course I now have the answers or long moved on with that
branch.

But my focus is Volunteers either in offering lookups or hosting sites
adding information to "share" with others.  The core value of genealogy.

Eric