From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:55:18 -0400
Steven,

I see your point that the Jefferson DNA line could have come from a slave or
other person bearing the same genes, but I have to question whether the
outcome complies with what we know of both science and history. Go back to
your high school biology study of yellow peas and green peas. If a pea mixed
of yellow and green peas is paired with another pea of yellow and green, the
likelihood of the resulting offspring being true yellow or true green drop
off drastically. Yet, Sally did not have children even as dark as herself
according to eyewitnesses. It would therefore be scientifically contrary to
include a slave who was only 50% white as the mate to 50% white Sally and
produce all children who were lighter than she was, light enough to pass as
white and disappear from the historic record. If Sally had children by a 50%
slave, at least 1-2 of her six-seven children should have been "throw-back"
and darker than her.

I think the notion of a slave father to Sally's children needs to be chucked
into the same trash bin as the "likely suspects" who were not present at
Monticello during Sally's conception windows.

I also think that it serves Sally poorly to continue to contend that her
children had many fathers. We have no evidence that suggests that Sally was
an "all night truck stop" either by her late entry into motherhood, or by
her devotion to TJ's grave after his death.

Perhaps history would be best served by making a serious study of all we
know about Sally. I don't know if the Annette Gordon-Reed book takes this
into consideration, but I think it important to consider Sally's humanity
when trying to decide who fathered her children. Slavery treated Sally with
inhumanity, but we don't have to follow suit.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org