From:
Tom Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:45:46 -0400
I think the word "gin" (short for engine) in English usage going back
to the middle ages meant any machine or mechanical contrivance. In
this case it may have referred to the small, hand-operated tools that
separated the cotton from its seed that pre-dated Eli Whitney's
invention.
Tom Costa

--
Tom Costa