From:
Anne Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2013 20:45:44 +0000
Thanks James. The site is 158 acres and also has some historic ruins, including part of a slave house.

Most folks feel the ruins and cemetery should be saved. Danville has ignored all of our concerns and has not involved
the descendants and advocates in any of the plans. Just a few weeks ago, they applied for a permit with DHR to move the

cemetery. We were unaware of their application for the permit. And they did not state (in the permit application) where they
plan to move the cemetery.

The process has been impossible for us, since Danville plans to give the ENTIRE 158 acre site to GOK International.
All of the plantation families were very prominent in early Pittsylvania County and Virginia history. Thomas Fearn and his son-in-law were

founding trustees of Danville.  They are related by married to William Harrison another trustee. A number of the Fearns are buried
in the Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. They were very well known and admired throughout the world.

So we must seek help from the public and from other advocates!

Thanks,

Anne Evans

Preservation Virginia - 2013 List of Endangered Sites - The Fearn Plantation
  http://preservationvirginia.org/docs/Pres.Va_EndangeredSites2013_v7.pdf

Originally owned by one of Danville’s founders, William Wynne, the Fearn site contains the ruins of the

Fearn-Walters residence surrounded by a formal courtyard, a well, and a slave dwelling (with a stone foundation and surviving chimney), all of which date from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The property also contains archaeological deposits and a historic cemetery.

Threat -
The site is slated for industrial development.  The City of Danville currently plans to relocate the historic cemetery and to demolish intact foundations and asso-

ciated archaeological sites that are important to Danville’s early history.

Recommendation
We urge the City of Danville to consider an alternate design for the industrial park that would preserve and incorporate the historic resources

into the plan. ----- Original Message -----