From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:05:10 -0700
Harold wrote, "Psychological aspects of the slave-holding
relationship, on both sides, is a
barely opened subject which should yield some very
rich results," and Lonny wrote, "It is an interesting
study for the psychologist/historian".

Too bad it can't be discussed without our preconceived ideas
getting in the way of an honest exchange of ideas, as Harold is
right, it could yield some rich results.    Years ago
I read Gen. Elias "Frank" Paxton's letters to his wife during the
Civil War  and  they  still haunt me.  How could an apparent
"good man" fool himself into believing (1) that the war
had nothing to do with slavery, and (2) society was designed
for some to be slaves and some owners?   It's too easy to just put
a label on him, e.g. hypocrite, but the question is still there.
Would love to discuss it in depth, but as Harold warns, the last week
or so on this list "hints at the discomfort" --and anger?-- this would cause
many.

For those not familiar with Gen. Paxton's letters, they are
online courtesy of UNC/Chapel Hill
http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/paxton/paxton.html

Joanne

Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Analogy regarding slaveholders' feelings toward their slaves may fail us
here.  Eugene Genovese when he was at the height of his analytical powers
thirty years ago argued that slaveholders thought of their estates as
consisting of their family;  "white and black."  Perhaps rather than pets,
slaveholders thought of their slaves as a kind of progeny, but consisting of
children who would never (be allowed to) grow up.  Thus, affection mingled
with absolute paternalistic control.

The problem with pets as an analogy in a rural society is that pets
generally were either specifically useful, as in hunting dogs or riding or
carriage horses, or dinner, as in pigs, sheep, and cattle.  This idea of
animals as non-working companions, fed and given health care, and buried
with honor when they died is a 20th century, urban cultural phenomenon.

Psychological aspects of the slaveholding relationship, on both sides, is a
barely opened subject which should yield some very rich results.  But I
suspect that both blacks and whites will generally resist this kind of
speculation because of presentist concerns.  The asymmetrical discussion you
all have been having on H-VA-Hist for the last ten days hints at this
discomfort.

Harold S. Forsythe