From:
John Maass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:08:34 -0500
Blank

This may be of some interest to members of this list:

Center for Scotch-Irish Studies
Call for Papers
Scotch-Irish Identity Symposium
Philadelphia, June 3 – 4, 2005
Who Are the Scotch-Irish?

The Center for Scotch-Irish Studies invites proposals for papers and
sessions for the Third Scotch-Irish Identity Symposium, which will be held
in Philadelphia on Saturday, June 4, 2005, with a welcoming dinner on
Friday, June 3, 2005.
We are concerned with the development of introductory material on the
history and culture of the Scotch-Irish, suitable for elementary and high
school students and for others who are not familiar with these topics.  A
primary focus of the symposium will be to identify parameters and guidelines
for appropriate materials; we invite contributions in this area.
Another area of interest would be presentations on methods of estimating the
number of Ulster immigrants to the American colonies and the United States.
We are particularly interested in approaches that examine levels of commerce
between Ulster and early America, for the light that this might shed on
levels of immigration.  Also of interest are the economic factors
influencing levels of trade between Ulster and the Colonies in the
eighteenth century.  (For example, how much flaxseed was needed to support
the linen industry in Ulster?)  We would encourage quantitative and
statistical approaches to this subject.  Presentations on proposed research
in this area are welcome.
Proposals and abstracts for papers and sessions related to the above
subjects are invited.  However, even if your work, or proposed research, is
not directly related to the above topics but relates to some further aspect
of the Scotch-Irish experience, we would welcome a preliminary inquiry from
you.

Proposals for papers may be submitted at any time to the Center for
Scotch-Irish Studies, PO Box 71, Glenolden, PA 19036-0071.  Please look at
the statement of Goals and Standards in www.Scotch-IrishCentral.org.
Abstracts (300–500 words) describing the paper proposed for this symposium
must be received by March 11, 2005.  Authors will be informed by March 25,
2005 if their abstracts have been accepted.  The full text of the paper must
be delivered by May 3, 2005.  Time for Symposium presentations will be
twenty-five to thirty minutes.  Please contact the above address, telephone
(610) 532-8061, or e-mail [log in to unmask], to obtain further information.