From:
"Hellier, Cathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 16:15:14 +0000
I think you mean "grass widow," which can mean an unmarried woman who has a child. It can also mean a woman who is separated or divorced, one whose husband is temporarily away, or a former mistress. It is a difficult term to interpret in early records unless one really knows the context of the situation.

Cathy Hellier
Historian
Department of Training and Historical Research
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
P.O. Box 1776
Williamsburg, VA 23187
757-220-7442