From:
Emily Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:12:16 +0000
>remarkable testimony to the ways that 15 years of
> archaeological excavations by Kelso and his team have transformed our
> knowledge of the early decades of the first settlement.

What knowledge would members of this list say was *transformed* (as opposed to deepened and enriched)?
Has our knowledge changed or have the questions we ask changed?

Jon: I, for one, would welcome a discussion about the anniversary and its presentation on this list.
Having studied and lectured on Jamestown while we living in England, I took my children back to the US for the celebration  and got to see it through their eyes as well.
To my mind there has been far too little discussion *after the fact* of the celebration, what it set out to accomplish, whether it realized its ambitions, and what was learned.