From:
Karen Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:53:22 -0500

> "Has anyone studied the spread of the Quaker and Methodist faiths in
> early Virginia and the effects it had on the freeing of slaves?"

Kenneth L. Carroll's article "An Eighteenth-Century Episcopalian Attack on
Quaker and Methodist Manumission of Slaves," Maryland Historical Magazine 80
(1985): 139-150

of course focuses on Maryland, but is well worth a look (not least for its
retelling of the purported second coming of Christ on the eastern shore of
Maryland).  Carroll has also written several monographs on the history of
Quakerism, but I am less familiar with their content.

Karen Stuart