From:
Jessica Welton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:11:23 -0500
just a few comments to add:

the old newspapers were 72dpi. Magazines around 300 dpi for the
better ones.

How you scan them will depend on how you want to use the scans.

75dpi is ok for small things, home use  and web sites, but if you're
going to reprint or project you may well want more.
If you're thinking you may eventually use in a book, color scans,
even of black and white newspaper, are frequently much nicer.
Again, it just depends on how you're going to use, because the better
scans are also much bigger.

Descreen can help soften the old dot pattern. if you're getting a
moire pattern (weird wavy lines caused in a photo scan by the two dot
patterns crossing) try turning your original a little in the scan bed
and rescanning. Sometimes that helps.

Jessica