From:
"Donald W. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:14:16 -0500
> And if people think there are too many state holidays already,
> let's retire
> Lee-Jackson Day and inaugurate Emancipation Day/Juneteenth instead.

At the risk of starting an entirely new discussion that could be even
more divisive than this one, I have to say that there are too many
Virginia residents with ancestors who served under Lee and Jackson
(and I am one) who would oppose the retiring of Lee-Jackson Day.
Regardless of what one may think of the appropriateness of the
holiday, the fact remains that much of the CW was fought on Virginia
soil by common farmers--most of whom did not own slaves--who viewed
the Federal forces as invaders of their native land. It is these
ancestors that most of their descendants today wish to honor--not for
their slave owning or defense of it--but for the defense of their
state. And Lee-Jackson Day is simply the vehicle for that remembrance.

And there are also those with their own agendas who view Lee-Jackson
day as a vehicle for re-fighting and re-hashing the Civil War. But
there will always be extremists of that type on either side of any
argument.