From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:06:51 -0400
There were three "moments" of New England secessionist activity prior to the
1830s:
- Brief episode in 1785-6 over Jay-Gardoqui negotiations involving
Mississippi River and Atlantic fisheries, etc. - documented in my A
Wilderness So Immense
- Another better organized episode in 1803-1804 in reaction to the Louisiana
Purchase - story also told in that book - Hamilton-Burr duel has a
connection . . .
- Better known movement toward Hartford secessionist convention of 1815 in
reaction to War of 1812 - covered by many historians starting with Henry
Adams.

Jon Kukla

--
Jon Kukla