From:
Melinda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:15:23 -0400
I just stumbled across an interesting fact-- which seems especially
pertinent since we are showing a new exhibition at the Library on
"Virginia's Coal Towns."  On this day (April 5th) in 1989, the strike
against Pittston Coal Company began.  Coal miners in Virginia began a
successful, year-long strike against Pittston Coal Company.  During the
strike, at least 3,000 were arrested in peaceful sit-ins, and another 40,000
miners joined in sympathy strikes.  The strike, which had started over
retiree benefits, was settled only with federal intervention.

Melinda Skinner
Annual Fund Director
Library of Virginia Foundation
800 East Broad Street