From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 03:42:04 -0800
These questions, and the answers; are complicated.  Va. does not in fact enact any laws creating slavery until 1660-61 and until 1690 or so it does not have a "slave code."  You can find the texts of most of the important slave laws for Va in my book, The Law of Freedom and Bondage:  A Casebook.  it is out of print but a good law library ought to have it.  Other colonies follow Va`s lead, some with statutes some by custom.  The Dutch have slavery in the New Netherland (no "s" on the end of that, by the way) in the 1620s or 1630s.  You might look at Alan Watson, Slave Law in the Americas for the Dutch period; it is a start; and look at A. Leon Higginbotham`s In The Matter of Color for a survey of most colonial laws.

----
Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208

518-445-3386 (p)