From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:09:02 -0700
Thank you. I may have to resort to the microfilm.
FYI, originally,  Gilmore's Mill was a grist mill.  Later, it the name  Gilmore Mills incorporates the area the location of the mill.

Joanne

"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Sep 19, 2005, at 10:13 AM, qvarizona wrote:

> I realize the question re. Dandridge's plantation had historical
> significance, but still, such a quick response to a question of
> locale inspires me to ask: Does anyone know where in Rockbridge
> County the Gilmore plantation Sidney/Sydney Vale was located? It was
> owned by the Gilmore family until ca 1909. From old family papers I
> know only that it was on the James about 4 miles south of the Natural
> Bridge.
>
> Any ideas? clues? Is there a way to trace locartion of property
> without a legal description?
Land Tax Records are probably the easiest way, assuming there are no
county history sources. Finding the Gilmore name, plus the distance and
bearing from the courthouse and then looking for the description that,
if you're lucky, may have the name listed in it is the easiest of the
harder ways to go.

Once located, then the metes and bounds may be found in the deeds.
Depending upon how much of the original property is left, the current
tax assessors maps may well show it. I'd also consult the 15' USGS
Quads for it once you've narrowed down the area.

LVA has the LTR records on microfilm and they are available through
Inter-Library Loan.

I just checked the Gilmer Map of Rockbridge County done for the CSA in
1863 and there is a "Gilmer's Mill" on the left bank of Cedar Creek as
it joins the James River that approximates the 4 miles S of Nat.
Bridge. The map shows no other structure with anything remotely
resembling Gilmore. CW cartographers often got names out of whack.

Lyle Browning