From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:42:30 -0500
Elizabeth voices a protest in something like the way some of my Tidewater
friends do. Often those friends are right when they disagree with me. That's
part of why I keep probing. (And I hope I haven't yet worn out my welcome
for that, by the way.)

I agree with Elizabeth that people are smart enough to sort these things
out, that banning the word _niggardly_ is nuts, and that the mistreatment of
_Huckleberry Finn_ is shocking. And I agree with Brent Tarter that while
some of this language fussiness can be constructive -- not the way he put
it, of course -- it's also true that to "banish the word 'slave' from the
language of historical scholarship ... is not likely to serve any good
purpose ... ."

But banishment isn't the same as selectivity, and this suggests a question
for Elizabeth or others: Can there ever be any justification for choosing to
refer, for example, to Sally Hemings as "a woman enslaved at Monticello"
rather than merely as "Thomas Jefferson's slave"?

Obviously we can't actually confer dignity retrospectively on those from
whom it was stolen, but are there ever any circumstances in which the effort
to confer dignity -- while still respecting facts -- improves understanding?

People are still trying to come to grips with slavery at Monticello and
Mount Vernon, at Colonial Williamsburg, in the Brown University board of
visitors' attempt to find out about the origins of their endowment, on the
stage, on PBS, in ceremonies in downtown Richmond, in ceremonies in England
and Africa, in books, in articles, on Cathy Lewis's "HearSay" talk show in
Norfolk, in the Virginia General Assembly, every year on Juneteenth, in
films. In this forum are many who could extend this list.

So my sense is that there's a lot of work to do. Is it completely
inconceivable that even a small part of that work might be to consider
whether any of the language left over from the slavery era ever merits any
healthy skepticism? Or is it really all, every bit of it, just precious,
prissy political correctness?