Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:50:49 -0500
  I've found the following:

 From a footnote in article from West Virginia Division of Culture and History website. Dr. Bowser was "familiar with forensics."
  http://www.wvculture.org/History/journal_wvh/wvh50-5.html   15. Ibid., 11E132; Allman, Lewis Wetzel, 192-95. When Wetzel's skeleton was exhumed near Natchez, Mississippi, by Dr. Albert W. Bowser in 1942, the grave was identified by the remains of his rifle and shot pouch contents with which he was known to have been buried. The skeleton revealed a broad-shouldered man of five feet nine inches in height. Dr. Bowser, who was familiar with forensic medicine, found the mid-forties male skeleton to match Wetzel's age at death.     Another article notes that there were imprints of long hair in the soil which was also consistent with Wetzel’s description.
  www.earlyamerica.com/review/spring97/wetzel.html