From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:46:46 -0500
There is of course political/racial violence in Virginia after the Civil
War.  What is distinctive about it is that in most of the cases I have
examined, from the shooting of a Underwood Constitutional Convention
delegate in Charlotte Courthouse in 1867-68 to the extensive violence in and
around Danville in 1883--not just on one day--the attacks were mostly
carried out during the day and entirely without masks.  Steven Hahn has
argued in A Nation Under Our Feet (2004) that the absence of a genuine
Reconstruction in Virginia in the 1860s negated a need for a KKK.  I would
only add that something in the culture of white Virginians in the 19th
century as compared to the rest of the South seems to have rejected night
time masked violence.

Is it possible that "honor culture" shaped this response to emancipation in
Virginia?

Harold S. Forsythe