From:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2018 06:31:45 -0400
The original question apparently was about the Virginia Navy between the years 1775-1783.

There has been an ongoing mystery about our Capt. Charles Wills, who was said to have been a sea Captain but I lean more towards a local Militia.  Either way, we have not been able to substantiate this rank claim other than a mention of his name listed like this in a newspaper announcement for a daughter's marriage.  There was a Capt. Charles Wills who was a ship's Captain but he lived and died in the Boston, MA area and not the same person.  Ours was born c.1775 in the Isle of Wight, VA area and died 1820 here in Richmond, VA.

The idea of a Virginia Navy did not cross my mind but wonder, did it extend on into the War of 1812 era? And, could he have been a Capt in the Navy?

Thanks.

Eric