From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:45:49 -0500
Very interesting indeed, Pat!  Thanks so much.

It may be worth noting that the practice of paying a bride-price would
have been thoroughly familiar to many-- probably most-- of the Africans
brought to early Virginia.  Throughout sub-Saharan Africa for
centuries, it's been normative in most societies to have the
prospective husband pay his wife's family a price (normally in goods,
not money) for marrying her.

At first blush this seems shockingly sexist, but in fact it is a frank
acknowledgment of the economic importance of the woman and the
compensation due to her family for losing her in that role.   It also
signalled to the wife's family the husband's worth as a household head
and economic provider.  The practice has been losing ground on the
continent in recent decades, but remains important in many ethnic
groups.

So I think we can be fairly certain that the English practice of the
dowry struck African-born Virginians as bizarre.  What was wrong with
these white people that they paid husbands to take someone as valuable
as a healthy daughter off their hands???

And then there was the matter of wives.  In Virginia, even wealthy men
had only one wife!   (Concubines were another matter, but neither in
Africa nor in America were concubines the same as wives, of course.)
That, too, must have struck Africans-- nearly all of whose natal
societies held the polygynous household to be the marital ideal, even
if poorer men often failed to afford more than one wife-- as truly
bizarre.

Oh, to have heard some of the late-night conversations around the fire
in the quarters. . . !

--Jurretta