From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:03:08 -0500
Thanks, I'm glad it's being watched. Getting back to what Lyle said
about the recent heavy rains and flooding in the area [as well as
elsewhere in the state], up here there are extensive remains of Civil
War trenches and earthworks and cannon emplacements all along the
hills overlooking the Rapidan River at Raccoon Ford. It seems to have
never been tilled, it has been used as a pasture for cattle, as it
still is, so the grass cover has kept it all very well protected. So
you have these trenches that have been there for 140 years [and we've
been living here for over 30], and in just the past year we've had
such heavy rains, parts of them have eroded out and washed down in
deep gullies. I hate to see it. But the water has cut right through
the grass and soil, it's so sad. I wish the site would be protected,
it's amazing, and in 2 battles at Raccoon Ford on the Rapidan, almost
3000 men were killed. Right now, and as far as I know, anyone could
do anything they want with it. Historic land in Orange County is very
under-protected, and the DC sprawl gets ever closer.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone