From:
Hollis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:52:49 -0800
Several years ago when I began to interview my
grandmother, I tried to also get her to teach me how
to make spoonbread.  Hers was the kind that was
something between cornbread and custard and didn't
need butter.

Although I gave it a good try, I couldn't get a recipe
from her.  Imagine a 16 year old gilr with a notepad
and pen in hand standing next to a stove asking "How
many cups was that?" and "How many tablespoons
grandma?"  She laughed and laughed so much at me
because she cooked the old fashioned way, by sight and
couldn't tell me how much of anything she used.
Having taken home economics classes, I was accustomed
to following a recipe and couldn't understand why she
didn't measure any ingredients.  Although I stood and
watched the process, I couldn't approximate a good
recipe and so when she died, her recipe died with her.

Not too long ago I found a restaurant near Winchester,
THe Wayside Inn, that has spoonbread on its menu.  Not
only do they charge you only $2.95 for a serving of
two, but if you ask, they'll even give you the recipe!
 They have had I think four generations of cooks from
the same family working there.  The Washington Post
ran a feature article on the family many years ago,
and the Inn still offers some of their signature
dishes such as smothered chicken and ham with red eye
gravy.  If you happen to be in the area, it's well
worth the visit.

The Wayside Inn
http://www.alongthewayside.com/dining.asp

Hollis L. Gentry