From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:33:35 -0500
Many thanks, Bill.  You have confirmed what I thought I recalled.   Also, you have reminded me that Joseph Carrington Cabell, indeed, was rather dictatorial about 'his' canal.   My father used to say that if Virginia had spend the same effort on the railroad that they did on the canal, then Norfolk would have been larger than New York.  Well, I guess thank goodness for small favors.

Randy Cabell