From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:18:10 -0400
Library of Virginia website has a 1937 photo and some information from
W.P.A. files - a catalogue search on subject: "belmont albemarle" brings
up Belmont and East Belmont. Click on the links and you get a digital
image of the W P A report - in this case 4 leaves and there is another URL
to the photograph.

Jon Kukla

URL   http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/VHI/html/02/0260.html
Author    Pate, Nancy S.
Title    survey report, Belmont : 1937 Oct. 25 / research made by Nancy S.
Pate.
Material    4 leaves.
Gen. note    Map location number: ALB39
   Class: Home
   Building date: 1730
   Builder: Colonel Harvie
   Location: 1.3 miles southwest of Keswick, Virginia on Route 22.
   Primary owners: John Harvie, Everett family, and Pugh family.
   Includes information on the Everett family.
   Includes description of a burial ground on the site.
   Includes information from tombstone inscriptions.
   Includes description of the house and grounds.
   Original house moved and divided into out buildings and a new house was
built on the site.
   Includes abstracts of title.
   Report accompanied by photograph: VHIP/02/0062.
Other Format    Also available on microfilm.
Format    Computer file. Richmond, Va. : Library of Virginia, 2000. 4
image files.
Issuing Body    This write-up is a part of the Virginia W.P.A. Historical
Inventory Project sponsored by the Virginia Conservation Commission under
the direction of its Division of History.

> The Belmont constructed by Ludwell Lee is located east of Leesburg and is
> not the Belmont of Albemarle County, some 100 miles away. Although there
> is
> no definitive proof where James or Dolley Madison stayed after the flight
> from Washington, it is claimed that Dolley did go to Lee's Belmont estate.
> That is now restored and is the country club for a gated community.
>
> Richard E. Dixon
> Clifton, VA 20124-2115
> 703-830-8177
> fax 703-691-0978

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463