From:
"Terry L. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:00:57 -0500
	For a current local controversy about educating free and enslaved black children at the Bray School here, scroll down to the last item at

		http://www.wm.edu/sites/lemonproject/researchandresources/resourcesandresearch/index.php <http://www.wm.edu/sites/lemonproject/researchandresources/resourcesandresearch/index.php>

There’s no doubt the children were being taught to read from1760 on, but whether they learned to write at the school or elsewhere is the question under discussion.   Anyway, the notes and the responses contain a good deal of helpful information on reading and the enslaved, including some discussion of the legal situation.

		The timeline at the Lemon Project site

		http://www.wm.edu/sites/lemonproject/researchandresources/historicaltimeline/index.php <http://www.wm.edu/sites/lemonproject/researchandresources/historicaltimeline/index.php>

also mentions George Greenhow:

1850s
George Greenhow, the free black custodian at the College, learns to read and write from a W&M student for whom Mrs. Greenhow does laundry; with a fine sense of irony, Greenhow liked to boast that he was "the only Negro ever educated at William and Mary."

Terry L. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg Virginia  23187 757-221-3932

http://wmpeople.wm.edu/site/page/tlmeye/ <http://wmpeople.wm.edu/site/page/tlmeye/>

http://www.ecologyfund.com/ecology/_ecology.html <http://www.ecologyfund.com/ecology/_ecology.html>

      Have we got a college?  Have we got a football team?.... Well, we can't afford both.   Tomorrow we start tearing down the college.
             --Groucho Marx, in "Horse Feathers."