From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:40:59 -0500
Lyle,

One concept sbout education that you are missing is that education is not
about being told what to "know", but in learning to think for oneself. In
all likelihood, students are going to have textbooks that present Nat Turner
as a "bad man". They will not be told why, other than that he killed "white"
people. Imagine you black son sitting in the class being told that a black
man who killed white people was bad without any discussion about his reasons
for doing so? Will your black son come to the conclusion that white people
are always right/good, and that when black people act contrary to that fact,
they are automatically "bad"?

My intent is to present the information to the students as fully as
possible. Yes, I have some bias inasmuch as I am not condemning Nat Turner
but opening the possibilities that he did nothing more wrong than was done
by the Patriots of 1776.

Consider, if you will, that the conditions of actual slavery were much
harsher than the conditions of colonialism. The colonists, by comparison,
cried before they were hurt!

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert