From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 17:01:03 -0500
I know the Pleasants family, at least was [or became] Quaker, maybe
that had a lot to do with it. Has anyone studied the spread of the
Quaker and Methodist faiths in early Virginia and the effects it had
on the freeing of slaves? Were there certain periods of 'revivals',
or was it just a gradual thing? I know my own family were Anglican
but many later became non-slave owning Methodist. There is a letter
from a Cardwell, a carriage maker, who was in Georgia on business in
the early 1800s and wrote back to his business partner with, among
other things, excitement about this new Methodist faith he'd come
across down there. I wonder if he came back and talked it up to some
in the family, and they converted?

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone