Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2023 20:36:50 +0000
 Professor Costa, I don’t know either book, but my own experience prompts me to pipe up with the two cents’ worth that it sounds like a great idea. In Norfolk at Granby Elementary during Massive Resistance well more than 60 years ago, I had Virginia history with that fourth grade textbook that has become so famous for its whitewashing of slavery. When Nikole Hannah-Jones came along and said that she had been surprised in adult life to learn about 1619, I could’ve told her all about how 1619 was the Red Letter Year. At least, that’s what the textbook said: 1619 was to be remembered for the first women, for slavery, and for the first legislature. It’s part of my mental framework, such as it is, for engaging the persisting goofball arguments of the slavery apologists who are still around.
I’m grateful to have my comment indulged. It seemed sensible to send encouragement about your idea. Good luck with it.