From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 16:00:22 -0400
It is one of two on the property. The ladies (assuming ladies to the
left as one faced both out the north entrance) is now a toolshed. I
cannot remember whether the brickbond is Flemish that should be 18th,
but I seem to vaguely remember that the ladies is part of the garden
wall that is American bond but I don't remember how many courses.
Either way, Am. Bond is 19th century. I will check it the next time
I'm there.

Shirley upriver from Westover had separate facilities at the southern
end of their formal garden, but they've been long since torn down.
Berkeley has evidence of privy pits in the yard toward the river
which I would assume to be a later issue as the original front on all
of these houses was to the river.

Unfortunately, the Westover privy is not exactly amenable for
inspection for the construction info regarding the 5 seater area as
it has been used !!!! by tourists but without receptacles on the
bottom. There are places I will necessarily avoid in my
archaeological research ;)

There is also at Westover the "Indian Escape Tunnel" on the west side
of the house that is apparent on the river bank. When Byrd built the
property, there was no need for such. It was then assumed to be a
drain of some sort. In the 1970's it was discovered that it connected
with a drain just outside the laundry. But, if one continues the
alignment, it extends to the ladies toilet, but would have been cut
through by the sunken garden. Thus in all probability, it probably is
a drain for the garden and laundry and nothing to do with draining
the toilets as Jefferson had in his tramway device at Monticello.

Lyle Browning, RPA