From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:38:37 -0400
I am winding up a book called "The Mayflower", which is really  narrative about the first century or so of our Northern latecomers to America.  Egad, no more will I sit still for those pious fables about them.

Remembering my ROTC days, and a the gaggle of of firelocks:  "Wheelock, Matchlock, Flintlock, Percussion, Cartridge".... I was interested in a comment about the Indians acquiring FLINTLOCKS relatively early on, while the Colonists continued to rely upon the slower, more cumbersome Matchlocks.  Shades of a century and a half later when Custer's men continued to fight with single-shot breech loaders, while the Little-Big-Horn braves had repeating rifles.

In any case, did a similar thing happen at Jamestowne?  I don't recall ever reading anything like that.  And at the moment it looks like to me that with the exceptions of Openchacanough's two massacres, there was not as much fighting as in New Enland.

Has any scholar ever done  any kind of study of settlers/Indians killed by one another, say to 1700 at the two settlements?

Randy Cabell
The Trumpeter of Jamestowne (although I DID find a reference to a Trumpeter at Plymouth!!)