From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:30:28 -0400
The following link will only be available free for the next week, so don't
hold this idea in the back of your head. The article is about how one
history teacher (PhD) tried to teach high schoolers how to approach history
in a more authentic manner, and the results of his efforts. He had hoped
that with a single unit using primary sources and the tools of historians,
it would make his students more critical of what they read in textbooks or
what the accepted without question from the teacher, but it turned out to be
not as easy as he thought:

http://www.tcrecord.org:80/Content.asp?ContentID=12723

It got me to thinking. I'm not trained as a historian, and when I taught
history it was primarily textbook in hand. Retired, I'm getting into
comparing sources of information, but still not getting to much into primary
sources (TJ's Farm and Garden Books, and the Jamestown Narratives excepted).

A few days ago, Excalibur gave me some great suggestions on "primary
sources" to add to my website under US & Virginia Government.

As I was reading the referenced article, I was wondering how to provide more
primary sources in history for K-12 students on my website. Of course, I
would primarily be doing as the teacher in the article, choosing primary
sources based on what is available on the web, but, in the hands of good
teachers, it may be enough to enrich some intruction.

Unfortunately, other than some sources, like the new database on the
emigrants to Liberia, I have no idea what primary sources may be available
online.

Can folks on here make suggestions, either via the list, or private email to
[log in to unmask] of links to primary sources I can begin to compile on my
web pages?

Thanks ever so much for whatever help is provided.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org