From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:53:29 -0500
Here is what the Waverly Watchman (opposition newspaper in Pike Co., Ohio)
to the Pike Co Republican (for the full article look it up in the Va. State
Library), regarding the Samuel Wetmore article interviewing Madison Hemings
which we have found to be DEFECTIVE on a few statements. This article
appeared 5 days later.

It is so long that I make reference in abbreviated form only. And I will
leave out the derogatory remarks about Sally.
"We have no doubt but that there are at least fifty Negroes in the county
who claim to illustrious parentage. They are not to be blamed for making
these ascertains. It sounds much better for the mother to tell her offspring
that "master" is their father than to acknowledge to them that some field
hand, without a name, had raised her to the dignity of a mother. The fact
that Hemings claims to be the natural son of Jefferson does not convince the
world of it's truthfulness."

You can read it in full in "The Jefferson Scandals, A Rebuttal" by well
known author, Virginius Dabney or at the VA. State Library in Richmond.

Herb Barger