From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 00:28:09 -0400
On Oct 20, 2008, at 8:10 PM, Jurretta Heckscher wrote:

> Mr. Browning (or is it Dr. Browning?  sorry!),
Not relevant anyway, but no doctorate.

> I'm truly confused by your comment here.
>

> You quote the reporter as saying the following:
>
> 1.  Genetic evidence has linked Hemings's line to Jefferson's family.
That is true and I agree with it.

> 2.  Documentary evidence exists.
OK, lots of documents exist, but as evidence beyond reasonable doubt
one way or another? Hardly.

> 3.  Historians say that such evidence points to Jefferson as the
> father.
That I would heartily contest as it is hardly incontrovertible. People
have used their interpretation of the documentary evidence as a proof
that TJ was the father. That is just not proven, nor is it provable
based on the documents to date, nor is the DNA evidence dispositive
that TJ was the father. There is not sufficient evidence to prove the
case. For each point, there is a counterpoint, apart from various
emotional coulda/shoulda arguments because he was a bad slave owner,
etc which are hardly taken seriously anyway.

> 4.  There are still some who deny the link.
Absolutely there are poor benighted out of touch souls who deny that
TJ was the father which is the implication of the sentence.

> Which of these statements do you contest?  It seems to me that every
> one of them can be substantiated abundantly in postings on this
> list, from advocates on all sides of the question at hand, within
> the past month.  Some of the historians in question have even
> participated in that discussion, or have recently published books to
> the same effect.
The discussion has ranged from TJ did, TJ didn't, TJ fathered 1, TJ
fathered 7 and to all pointed in between, above, below, around and
through. I will contest, based on the evidence to date, anything that
explicitly says that TJ was the parent. Who the parent was is unknown
but narrowed to less than half a dozen Jeffersons, how many children
SH had by that Jefferson is also unknown. Yet articles, posts and
books continue the claim that TJ was the parent when the DNA does not
show that. That is what I will contest.

> If one wishes to continue to debate Jefferson and Hemings, surely
> one can come up with something more salient than a bald factual
> statement from a reporter -- a welcome exception, moreover, to the
> general tendency of reporters to misreport complicated historical
> issues.
The reporter wrote what I thought was a good piece, apart from the TJ
statement with which I took issue. It is not the SH/TJ issue I wish to
continue debating. Reporters need to get their facts straight and not
go beyond the evidence. Too much second-hand chatter does us all no
good.

I have long advocated digging up TJ and anybody else who can help with
the solution and testing them.

My peeve is directed at the reporter stating as factual that which has
not yet been proved beyond reasonable doubt and which takes the DNA
evidence beyond what it allows.

Stuff gets into print that isn't so and has a life of its own. In
1930, Kathleen Bruce published a book called Virginia Iron Manufacture
During the Slave Era. In it, she said that Tredegar was the oldest
ironworks south of the Rappahannock. That is demonstrably false as I
have proved. What she did was look at Land Tax Records for the year or
so when the Belle Isle Iron and Nail Works had burned and was being
rebuilt. BIINW started in 1816 or so and operated continuously and
were thus 20 years ahead of Tredegar. But because it is in print and
because Bruce was an excellent researcher, it has become fact. It is
endlessly quoted by folks who look at secondary literature and see it
as factual background.

That is precisely the problem with going beyond the evidence in the TJ
case and that is what I contest.

> I say this, for what it's worth, as someone who finds this
> individual's claim of Madison descent dubious in the extreme.  (I
> cannot find the Times-Dispatch article, but am familiar with the
> claim as recorded in other recent news reports.)  The (apparent)
> entire absence of supporting contemporary evidence -- i.e., evidence
> from Madison's own time -- renders it most likely to be, in my view,
> what several people on this list would have us suppose the Hemings-
> Jefferson link to be: a historically baseless family story founded
> in misdirected ancestral pride.
I have no vested interest either way in whether TJ fathered children
with SH. I am not in agreement with the unreasoning veneration of St.
Thomas on his pedestal. I don't think either that he should be judged
by presentist attitudes. I do not agree that it is an honorable aim to
destroy his entire reputation as some have been quoted as advocating.
If he and SH had children, so be it. I simply don't care. But I do
care when scientific evidence is taken out of context and misused.

> The same goes for the story about a supposed George Washington slave
> liaison that Henry Wiencek has perhaps too dutifully (sorry, Henry)
> laid forth in An Imperfect God: the contemporaneous, or even more
> recent historical, supporting evidence that might lead a reasonable
> researcher to accept the tale's essential veracity simply does not
> exist.
>
> The Jefferson-Hemings link is of an entirely different order, and it
> is frankly an insult to the professional integrity of historians to
> pretend otherwise.
I believe Kevin Hardwick attempted to lay out in bullet points what
the current level of understanding was and largely succeeded. I find
that admirable to be able to cut through the bloviation and get to the
facts that are the basis that today we agree with so that we can take
our collective step towards the next interpretative level.

Historians without scientific backgrounds tend to leap on the
headline, and do not understand the limitations or nuances of the
technique and use that to bolster their arguments. That is both bad
science and bad history. What the historians on this list have done is
to try to explain how they got to their conclusions. It is also
abundantly clear that wishing something were so, or were not so has
clouded objective reasoning.

I hope you are less puzzled by my comments. My peeve is that incorrect
statements need to be called out each time they're made until what is
currently understood to be the truth is what is put forth. When we can
advance the interpretation, then we begin again with another round.

Lyle Browning