From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 14:47:42 -0400
Friends,

I need help with a minor detail in a footnote to the article I am
writing on the Kelley brothers emancipation of their 44 slaves in
Northumberland County, and their subsequent journey to Liberia.  This
footnote deals with letters from one Randal Kilby to attorney John
Richardson Kilby of Suffolk, Nansemond County, Virginia.  Here is how
I have it written, but there is a nagging detail, the answer to which
I cannot find by simply using the internet:

60 Kilby Family Papers, Library of Virginia Archives Collections,
Correspondence 1856-1859, Box 5, Folder 13.  Kilby was also a
delegate from Nansemond County to the 1861 Virginia Secessionist
Convention, where he voted with the majority in opposing secession on
April 4, 1861.

I find conflicting information on whether Kilby was present at the
convention of 17 April 1861 which voted to seceed, in response to
Lincoln's call for 8,000 troops to surpress the rebellion.  One
source says he was absent, another says he voted in favor.  Kilby (no
relation) was an attorney in Suffolk with close ties to the American
Colonization Society.

Any help on this specific footnote would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Craig Kilby
Lancaster, VA