From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:45:59 -0400
Augustine Washington was a partner in the Principio Co. Most of the
Principio partners lived in England (which caused no end of problems
during the Revolution) and most of their facilities were in Maryland.
Their first "ironmaster" neglected to make sure that the land he
bought had iron ore (he was primarily interested in his own
commercial activities). His replacement, John England (an experienced
ironmaster), spent his first few months in America looking for and
securing iron ore for the company. It being hard to make iron without
ore.

One of the places he found it was on land owned by Augustine
Washington on Accokeek Creek, near Fredericksburg (called Potomac IW,
but today called Accokeek IW). A blast furnace and iron mine was
built there around 1726. For a while it also served as the
headquarters of the Principio Co. This ironworks was closed around
1753-57 and the HQ shifted back to Maryland. However, GW retained a
minority interest in the company. I am not aware of any of the
Washington's slaves working iron ore after Accokeek/Potomac closed.
Because of the medieval (really!) nature of land tenure in the
Northern Neck, the Fairfaxes got 1/3 of all of the iron ore mined. As
a result Principio, and many other Virginia ironworks, switched to
using ore from Maryland in the 1750s. While I suppose technically
some of the company slaves were GW's, he had little if any  control
over what they did, nor how they were treated.

James Brothers, RPA