From:
Mary Linhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:00:29 +0000
My impression is that it might have been a way to allow city residents to have a separate government.  Therefore when a town got big enough to need various services such as a water system, street lighting, street cleaning, trash collection and the like, the cost for these would be borne by those who would benefit and not by rural residents who might not be willing to support those costs.