From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:38:05 -0500
It's a ham that traditionally was from peanut fed pigs, from the
Smithfield Va. area, cured a long, slow time (months) over hickory
smoke, bursting with flavor, but when you get one you have to prepare
it a certain way. Sliced paper-thin, it's indescribable. You'll never
want rubbery pink ham again. Supposedly the colonists used methods
they learned from the Indians. Cured this way, it can last forever-
I've heard of hams that are many years old and still good. It's now a
big industry in Smithfield, and many private people cure their own,
with little, ancient smoke houses in the back yard. Some sell a
limited quantity as a private label. But to be a "Smithfield ham" it
does have to meet certain legal criteria. Look in gourmet shops, ham
and cheese places, or I'm sure you can order on on the Internet. Be
sure it's genuine Smithfield ham. I lived there for a few years, and
the aroma in the fall was of burning leaves, and hickory smoke from
the smoke houses.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone