From:
harriott lomax <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:02:55 -0500
Do not dismiss oral hiistory, many African Americans and poor whites have
been able to trace their ancestry because of the family stories passed down.
Unfortunately some of those stories upon research turn out to be untrue.
However, sometime facts get lost in translation, I can say this from
personal experience. I remember my paternal grandmother very often
mentioning what turned out to be her mother's family name, it took me two or
more years looking at transcribed census rolls to realize that the family
living next door to my great-grandparents were my great grandmother's
family.

When looking at original hand written documents, if you are unable to
decipher what a word is, especially names, scan the document for another
word with the same letter (writting styles change over the years) often
helps.

Harriott Lomax