From:
Jim Greve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:18:35 -0500
I would tend to think "Hartford" in this case is really Stafford.  The will
was written in 1726, but it wasn't probated until 1732.  In the meantime,
Prince William County was formed from Stafford (and King George County) in
1730.

In Prince William County Deed Book, 1761-1764, p. 227-230, there is a deed
from William Bird to Thomas Bird.  It concerns land that the "Honble Robert
Carter Esqr. by one Indenture of Lease under his hand & seal recorded among
the Records of Prince William County Court bearing date the first day of
August One thousand seven hundred and Fifty five for the consideration
therein mentioned did grant to farm let unto said William Bird a parcel of
land containing One hundred Eighty acres with the appurtenances being in the
Parish and County aforesaid on the Branches of Bull Run being a part of
tract of Six thousand and thirty ares of land and called the Bull Run
Tract."

I would surmise that this land was part of the tract that Robert Carter
bequeathed to his son in his will of 1726, and in 1726 the land was in
Stafford County.  I checked Embry's Index but did not find a reference to
it.  Stafford, of course, is a burned record county.

My guess is the person at the courthouse doing the transcribing back in 1732
misread Stafford for Hartford, or miswrote it.....

Jim Greve
Archivist
The Library of Virginia
800 E. Broad Street