From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2010 10:46:09 -0400
An interesting observation for comparative purposes. It would appear that this information might be, if not
extremely difficult to dig out; costly relative to its value - albeit for "shroud of secrecy" that probably veiled
it from general knowledge. Although a child at the time, I never learned of the "sinkings" on the east coast until
the 1950's: partly because, maybe, people on the west coast were self centered on the other foe. I remember nearly
falling into a "pit trap" while playing amongst the heavy shore batteries stationed on Point Loma, Calif. It was
very late in the War, and the Army command had become quite "loose" in its attitude toward defense of the
homeland - probably feeling quite left behind - and not fully appreciate of having the luxury of being "left
behind".

A possible source might be the deck logs of ships that were permanently stationed in the area and assigned to
Anti-submarine Warfare (ASW). Again, it's an expense to obtain; and, a pain to research as they are extensive and
just plain boring. Another area might be lighthouse or life-station logs amidst U.S. Coast Guard records. Since
U.S. Coast Guard operations are transferred to the Navy (at least that was now it was then - who knows now?) under
wartime conditions, the Department of the Navy's Historical section ought to have some "handle" on where this
information might reside. I also remember a "Life Magazine" front cover "photo" of a uniformed patrol along a
beach. The records from that command might be more valuable depending upon what reporting requirements were in
place. Again, I would think it was a Navy responsibility at the time.

Hopefully, someone has written about your observation; and, all this work has already been done.

Regards, Ray