From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 09:47:22 -0400
Jenny,

The fullest investigation of the Newby family that I know of is the chapter, "The Newby Families in Virginia and Ohio," in Philip J. Schwarz's Migrants Against Slavery: Virginians and the Nation (University of Virginia Press, 2001).

In the aftermath of John Brown's Raid, in which Dangerfield Newby was fatally shot, authorities went to the farmhouse where Brown and the others had stayed and confiscated documents, including the letters that Harriet Newby had sent from slavery in Virginia to her husband in Ohio who was trying to raise money to purchase his wife and children. The letters will make you weep. The originals have disappeared, but transcripts were published at the time and later in the Calendar of Virginia State Papers, 10:310-311.

But, Phil Schwarz tells the story in depth and with compassion.

John